Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"A Rescuer's Story about Typhoon Pepeng"

They call him Mr. Dario. I found out he was one of the rescuers who came to the aid of a pregnant woman on top of the roof of a house in Pangasinan during the fury of typhoon Pepeng (Parma).

It was an ordinary day for me but this man's story was extraordinary. I have not fully recovered from the news about typhoon Ondoy (Ketsana). Everywhere I look there's a sad news about the victims- lost properties, lost lives even lost hopes. Then here comes typhoon Pepeng with the same if not more damage made worse by floods brought about by many dams releasing tons of water. My family and I are blessed to be spared from all these but I often wonder how it will be for these victims.

I also wonder about these brave rescuers risking their lives to save others. Then Mr. Dario walked in. He walked into our office limping and wearing only shorts and a t-shirt. I found out that it was because of the many hours he hanged on the helicopter ladder as he was rescuing people from the flood in Pangasinan. While he was busy saving others, his house had been flooded as well burying all their earthly possessions. He lost his wallet during the rescue with all his identification and some cash. For two straight days he rescued a lot of people, braving the torrential rains, hanging from the helicopter for hours without thought for food. Amazing! I tell him at least he survived, his family is safe and he saved many lives- something he should be proud of.

To all rescuers thank you!

No comments: